Eggplant meatballs with marinara. While the meatballs cook, warm the marinara sauce in a small saucepan. Remove the meatballs from the oven, sprinkle with a little extra parmesan and serve with the marinara sauce. Eggplant Meatballs in Marinara Sauce is actually a meat-free recipe that is vegetarian and gluten-free.
Top some spaghetti with the marinara and meatballs and you're ready for your Lady and the Tramp moment. We eat a lot of red tomato sauces over here. Vegan Eggplant Meatball Marinara made with roasted eggplant and chickpeas. You can cook Eggplant meatballs with marinara using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Eggplant meatballs with marinara
- Prepare 1 of small eggplant.
- It’s 1 of large egg lightly beaten.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of cooked cannellini or navy beans (rinsed), smash with fork.
- You need 1 of large clove garlic finely chopped.
- You need 1/4 cup of finely chopped basil.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of finely chopped parsley.
- It’s 1/2 cup of finely grated Parmesan.
- Prepare of Salt & pepper.
- It’s 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs.
- Prepare of Olive oil.
- Prepare 2 cups of marinara (homemade or store bought.
Served over my mushroom marinara and topped with vegan cheese. Each time I attempted to make the "meatballs" with just eggplant and breadcrumbs, too mushy. Add a little oil to a pan on medium-high heat and cook the onions and garlic until they are deeply caramelized. Eggplant Meatballs in Marinara Sauce is actually a meat-free recipe that is vegetarian and gluten-free.
Eggplant meatballs with marinara instructions
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and place the eggplant on top. Use a fork to prick the eggplant 4 times, then place the eggplant in the oven and roast it until it has completely collapsed and a paring knife easily slips into the center, 40 to 50 minutes. Cool the eggplant 20 minutes. Leave the oven on..
- Slice the eggplant in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh (discard the skin). Place the roasted eggplant in a medium bowl and stir in the egg and beans. Add the garlic, basil, parmesan, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and stir to combine, then mix in the breadcrumbs..
- Again, line the rimmed baking sheet with a clean sheet of foil and lightly mist it with spray. Shape the eggplant mixture into balls about the size of a golf ball (2 tablespoons per ball; you should get about 16). Place them on the prepared baking sheet and lightly mist the top of the balls with spray. Bake the eggplant balls until they are golden brown and firm, about 20 minutes..
- While the meatballs cook, warm the marinara sauce in a small saucepan. Remove the meatballs from the oven, sprinkle with a little extra parmesan and serve with the marinara sauce. Serve over pasta or not :).
This Eggplant Meatball recipe is made with roasted eggplant, creamy salty parmesan cheese, Italian breadcrumbs and fresh basil and parsley packed into a balls, and then lightly fried, served topped. When I served these vegetarian meatballs to my husband and Mr. Picky, my son, two certified carnivores, I was a little nervous. Add the eggs, cheese, parsley and minced garlic, then salt and pepper as desired. Add the bread crumbs and mix well.