You can have Chipotle Sauerkraut using 4 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chipotle Sauerkraut
- You need 3 tbsp of Salt.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Garlic Powder.
- Prepare 1 can of Chipotles in Adobo Sauce.
- Prepare 5 lb of Cabbage.
Chipotle Sauerkraut instructions
- Remove (and save) the putter leaves of the cabbage (usually just the outermost 2.) Slice cabbage thinly and put into a stock pot (or something else large enough.).
- Mince chipotles, then mix in with the garlic, salt and the rest of the adobo sauce.
- Mix in the chipotle mixture with the cabbage and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Spoon cabbage into quart jars, pressing down after each spoonful to compact the cabbage and let the juices move around. Also, continually toss the cabbage in the pot so the brine stays more evenly spread throughout. Do not overfill the jars, usually just around 2/3-3/4 full..
- Split the leftover brine at the bottom of the pot into each jar. Put a leaf (saved from step 1) into each jar to cover/contain the cabbage. Then put a rock (or something that fits in the jar and is heavy/large enough to weight down the cabbage below the brine level) in each jar. If the brine is not above the cabbage, make your own (1T salt/1C water) and pour on top till it's well covered. Make sure to leave some room as it will expand..
- Open jar every morning and press the rock back down for the next couple weeks. Taste it as you go to determine when you want to stop fermenting. I usually stop around 2-3 weeks if it's warmer (above 65) , 4-5 weeks if it's cooler. Put in fridge once they taste good.