Lentils and Spicy Sausages. This hearty one-pot spicy sausage and lentil soup is packed full of veggies, protein and a ton of flavor. It's a copycat version of the spicy sausage lentil soup that we get at Carrabba's. It is loaded with flavor from the hot Italian sausage, lentils, ham, and veggies.
This Spicy Lentils with Sausage dish is not your average lentils recipe – it's flavorful, hearty, and so simple to make. How to Make this Spicy Lentils Recipe with Sausage: Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the sausage, and cook until browned. Add sausages and brown on all sides. You can cook Lentils and Spicy Sausages using 15 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Lentils and Spicy Sausages
- You need 1 of yellow onion, diced.
- Prepare 2 of carrots, small diced.
- Prepare 1 stalk of celery, small diced.
- Prepare 2 tsp of minced garlic.
- It’s 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1.5 cups of dry green lentils.
- You need 1 quart of chicken stock.
- You need 1.5 tsp of fresh minced rosemary.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dried thyme.
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf.
- You need 1 tsp of Dijon mustard.
- You need splash of red wine vinegar.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 lb of hot Italian sausage, about 4 large links (or 1 large Andouille, that's what I used).
Season lentils with salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar to taste. The spicy Italian sausage cuts through often one-note lentils, adding depth of flavor and extra soul to this soup recipe. The spicy pork sausage is definitely what gives this dish a lot of flavor so I definitely wouldn't omit that (sorry vegetarians!). Leftovers were something we were looking forward to.
Lentils and Spicy Sausages instructions
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large heavybottomed pot or dutch oven. When hot, add the onion, carrot and celery. Saute for fiveminutes, stirring frequently, then add the garlic and continue sautéing for another two minutes..
- Add the fresh rosemary, dried thyme, bay leaf, smoked paprika and lentils. Mix well then pour in the stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 25 – 30 minutes until lentils have absorbed most of the liquid. Stir in the Dijon mustard and red wine vinegar and continue simmering until all the liquid has been absorbed..
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place sausages on a baking sheet and lightly mist with cooking spray. Place in the oven and roast for 15 – 20 minutes, flipping midway through. You want the sausages to be crispy and golden.
- When the sausages are finished roasting, place in the pot with the lentils and serve together. Season lentils with additional salt to taste..
Ahh, you have to make this slow cooker lentil and spicy sausage stew to see what I'm talking about!! Lentil & Sausage Stew is a fast and easy soup bursting with flavor and chock full of good-for-you vegetables! Measure out the lentils and pick through them to make sure there are no stones. Add them to the pot along Spicy goodness! It makes a lot, so I'm glad it freezes well.