Coconut Cream Pie.
You can cook Coconut Cream Pie using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Coconut Cream Pie
- You need 3 cups of milk.
- Prepare 4 of lg egg yolks.
- It’s 1 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 4 Tbl of cornstarch.
- It’s 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- You need 1/4 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1 cup of coconut, divided.
- Prepare 1 of 9” pie crust, baked.
- It’s of Meringue.
- Prepare 4 of lg egg whites.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of sugar.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of vanilla.
- You need 1/4 cup of coconut; for garnish.
Coconut Cream Pie instructions
- Line baked pie crust with 1/4 cup coconut.
- In large, heavy saucepan, heat milk to almost boiling..
- In small bowl, mix egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, and salt. Pour mixture into hot milk. Cook until thickened. Add remaining coconut. Cool slightly..
- Make meringue: beat egg whites with cream of tartar until dissolved. Turn mixer to high and beat until stiff peaks form. Add sugar slowly. Add vanilla..
- Spread meringue on top of hot pie, sealing to the edge of the crust. Top with reserved coconut. Bake meringue at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes, or until meringue browns slightly..
- ALTERNATIVELY, use toasted coconut for lining pie crust and garnishing..