Red beans and rice with smoked sausage. Good ole red beans and rice with lots of smoked sausage. I put lots of garlic in it which makes it tasty. I take it to my bingo crowd and they love it!
This classic dish has been filling hungry bellies on a dime for centuries. It's rich, flavorful, has a TON of fiber and protein Traditionally, red beans and rice is made with Andouille sausage, which is a smoked pork sausage originating from France, but also popular in Louisiana. Add rice, water and bouillon cube. You can cook Red beans and rice with smoked sausage using 12 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Red beans and rice with smoked sausage
- You need Cup of diced celery.
- You need Cup of diced yellow onion.
- You need Cup of diced green pepper.
- Prepare 4 of large garlic minced.
- It’s of Whole pack Cajun/smoked sausage sliced.
- It’s 32 oz of chicken stock.
- You need 4 of Bay leaves.
- You need 2 1/2 tbsp of Cajun seasoning.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of butter.
- Prepare 2 cans of red beans drained.
- You need 6 tbsp of flour.
- Prepare of Hot sauce to taste (I prefer crystal or zatarains).
Brown zesty Cajun Style Smoked Sausage and cook with Red Beans and Rice Mix for a complete meal or flavorful side. Add Sausage; brown on both sides. Stir in Rice Mix and water. Red beans, garlic cloves, sausage, thyme, black pepper, smoked ham shank, sage, onions, cayenne pepper, salt, rice.
Red beans and rice with smoked sausage instructions
- Add 4 tbsp butter and a glob of oil. Add veggies and sweat down until really soft, remove and set aside..
- Wipe pot down and add 2 tbsp of oil and sear sliced sausage until rendered then remove with slotted spoon and retain oil in the pan.
- Add 4 tbsp butter to the pot and simmer lightly. Slowly add flour 1 tbsp at a time and make a dark chocolate roux. This method takes time and constant attention and whisking. If it starts to smell like slightly burned popcorn it's fine but if you have ever burned a roux then you will know it's time to start over..
- Add veggies and simmer until slightly thickened(5 to 10 minutes).
- Add chicken stock and stir until incorporated and then add sausage, beans, Cajun seasoning, bay leaves and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer low covered but cracked, for about an hour and then check for seasonings, salt to taste but I only did a few grinds of salt (add 2 to 3 tbsp of hot sauce at this time).
- Lightly smash some beans and low simmer for another 15 minutes and serve..
- Serve with rice and top with green onions and crusty bread on the side.
Place beans in Dutch oven and cover generously with water. Add remaining ingredients to beans except salt and rice. Red beans and rice are slow cooked to perfection with diced andouille sausage and chopped vegetables. If you like a meatier red beans and rice, add a ham bone, ham hocks, diced ham, or some bacon to the Use diced kielbasa or another type of smoked sausage in place of the andouille. Sausage: for the kielbasa/sausage, you're looking for precooked sausage that you slice into rounds I have some Smoked Andouille chicken sausage that I am going to try.