Scones. This is a very simple recipe for scones. You can customize them by adding dried fruit or nuts. Half and half can also be substituted for milk if you wish.
Scones are, after all, humble and rustic food, not. Try our savoury scones, cheese scones, fruit scones and more. We have scones for every taste and occasion – from traditional buttermilk scones to chocolate chip. You can have Scones using 8 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Scones
- You need 3 cups of all purpose flour.
- It’s 3/4 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 4 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of salt.
- You need 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter, cold and cubed.
- Prepare 4 oz (1/2 package) of cream cheese, cold and cubed.
- You need 2 of eggs.
- It’s of Milk enough to pull dough together.
This scone recipe makes a scone that is similar to what you find in all the coffeehouses these days. Using buttermilk, instead of heavy cream, and omitting the egg makes a lighter, more bread-like. Learn how to bake light, fluffy scones, the quintessential English tea time treat in this free tutorial, with simple tips flat stodgy scones will be a thing. These American Scones bake up tall and fluffy with soft interiors and crisp exteriors.
- Place all the dry ingredients in either a food processor or large bowl. Pulse or stir just to combine..
- Make sure the butter and cream cheese are COLD, cube them up and cut into dry ingredients. If you are using a food processor pulse half the butter and cream cheese at a time to prevent overworking the dough and/or clumping. If cutting in by hand you have a little more control and better looking toned up arms :).
- Next whisk the eggs and add to the flour mixture. Mix until worked throughout the dough..
- The dough is still dry and crumbly at this stage, but can quickly become an over-saturated, sticky mess with this next ingredient. It's time to add more dairy. I use nonfat milk, but you can swing that pendulum all the way to heavy cream if you so desire. The important thing is to add slowly and stop as soon as the dough pulls together..
- Once you have a pulled together dough, dump onto a lightly floured surface. Using your lightly floured hands flatten (to about 1/4"or 1/2" thickness) and shape dough into a rough rectangle for cutting. Using a pizza cutter, cut dough into desired shapes..
- Transfer scones to ungreased cookie sheet. Leave plenty of room between the scones. Bake at 350 degrees for about 17 minutes..
- Scones are done once they start to lightly brown, do not over bake..
- Cool on racks and decide if you want to drizzle with a powder sugar glaze or chocolate..
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info. Scones is a music blog featuring little known tasty morsels daily. The best scones depend on the ingredients and how you prepare them If it's hot in your kitchen, freeze your butter before making scones. A soft buttery scone recipe filled with sausage, cheese and veggies.