Kale, Sausage & Leftover Mashed Potato Soup. Kale sautéed with Italian sausage, onions, garlic and white beans. Quick and easy! "You've converted me into a kale lover," a friend declared after eating a hearty bowl of this kale with sausage. Though kale probably originated in the dry heat of the Mediterranean, it became a fixture in the But having spent five winters in Provincetown, Mass., where the Portuguese eat their kale with sausage.
When I have time to prepare dried beans, I do—but don't. The kale was delicious in the soup. I loved that it didn't get too soft like spinach. You can cook Kale, Sausage & Leftover Mashed Potato Soup using 15 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Kale, Sausage & Leftover Mashed Potato Soup
- Prepare 1 of medium onion, chopped.
- It’s 1 of large stem celery, chopped.
- You need 3 of medium carrots, cut into 1/4" thick discs (or however you like to chop carrots for soup).
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed.
- Prepare 1/2 Tablespoon of oil.
- Prepare 1 bunch of kale, washed well, stems removed, and rough chopped.
- Prepare of optional: 4 cups arugula or spinach (I just happened to have arugula that needed to get used up).
- It’s 6 cups of unsalted liquid (water or broth of choice).
- Prepare 1/2 Tablespoon of salt.
- Prepare 1 pound of sausage, cut into bite sized pieces.
- Prepare 4 of tomatoes, chopped or one 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I just happened to have fresh ones that were starting to get wrinkly…).
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of oregano.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- It’s 2 cups of leftover mashed potatoes.
I will definitely buy You wouldn't want to add any unnecessary carbs to the sausage kale soup. This super fast Sausage and Kale Skillet is a flavorful and hearty weeknight dinner. While the sausage is cooking, remove the woody stems from the kale, then slice it crosswise into thin strips. This sausage and kale soup recipe puts the essence of Italy right in your bowl.
Kale, Sausage & Leftover Mashed Potato Soup instructions
- In a 4 to 5 quart pot, bring 1/2 Tablespoon oil up to medium heat and sweat onions, carrots, celery, and garlic until onions start to turn translucent. (About 3 minutes or so.).
- Add kale, arugula, liquid, salt, and cook, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally..
- Once kale has wilted, add tomatoes, sausage, bay, and oregano and cook, COVERED, for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally..
- Add mashed potatoes and cook COVERED again for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Before the last 10 minutes of cooking, adjust seasoning if needed..
- Enjoy! :).
Flavors of sweet Italian sausage mingle with savory herbs and garlic. This combination is rounded out with some onion and a. This Sausage and Kale Soup is healthy, hearty and satisfying, with smoky Andouille sausage, Yukon gold potatoes, and plenty of kale. Strip the kale leaves from their stems and tear the leaves into large pieces. Just in time for fall, this dish combines juicy tomatoes with hearty whole-wheat pasta, sausage, and kale.