Apullian onion pie (Calzone di Cipolla). Since onions are the 'star of the show', the choice of onion will strongly affect the end result. In Puglia, the most favored choices are cipolle rosse di Acquaviva delle Fonti, a very sweet red onion, or cipolle sponsali, a kind of a cross between green onion and leek. Pizza dough, medium onions, canned plum tomatoes, ricotta forte, pinch of salt, pepper and oregano, extra virgin olive oil, optional: anchovies or olives.
Try this wonderful Italian recipe for Calzone di Cipolla (Onion Calzone) from one of our cooking vacations in Italy. This calzone is unlike any you've had before, and you can try it yourself on an authentic culinary tour to Puglia. Cover with plastic wrap for an hour. You can have Apullian onion pie (Calzone di Cipolla) using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Apullian onion pie (Calzone di Cipolla)
- You need 250 g of flour.
- It’s 250 g of semolina flour.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of instant yeast.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- You need 1.5 teaspoons of salt.
- You need 200 ml of lukewarm water.
- Prepare 150 ml of olive oil.
- It’s of Onion filling.
- Prepare 4 of big white onions.
- Prepare 5 of anchovies filets.
- Prepare 100 g of sliced olives (green or black).
- You need 2 tablespoons of raisins (optional).
- Prepare 50 g of grated Pecorino.
Sauté anchovies and onions until soft and cooked with a hint of brown color. Add tomatoes put on the side. Roll dough out and spread in pan. Put onion mixture on top and cover with dough.
Apullian onion pie (Calzone di Cipolla) step by step
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Wait to rise. (5 min).
- Mix flours, salt, oil and yeast mixture and kneed until soft smooth dough forms. Divide in two pieces and leave in warm place to rise..
- Slice onions in thin strips across. Heat some olive oil in frying pan. Fry onions on high until excess liquid evaporates and onions start to brown, than reduce heat and cook on low for about 20-30min, turn occasionally to prevent burning, but don’t overdo it, because it will become mushy. Cook until soft and caramelized. Add some black pepper. No salt needed, because olives, anchovies and pecorino is quite salty. But you can adjust to your taste..
- Cool slightly. Add sliced olives, chopped anchovies, raisins and pecorino cheese. Set aside. Fill is ready..
- Place one piece of rolled dough in very good greased form. Add onion mixture and cover with second half of rolled dough. Pinch edges together. Let it rise for half an hour (or overnight). Pour more olive oil on top and pierce with fork in few places. You can sprinkle some coarse salt on top as well..
- Preheat oven to 395 F. Bake for about 30 min until caramel coloured on top and bottom. Enjoy!.
Home » Onion Calzone (calzone Di Cipolla). Calzone di cipolla alla pugliese (Puglian Onion Pie). Try this wonderful Italian recipe for Calzone di Cipolla (Onion Calzone) from one of our cooking vacations in Italy. This calzone is unlike any you've had before, and you can try it yourself on an authentic culinary tour to Puglia. This dish brings back some of my fondest.