Mexican style chorizo.
You can have Mexican style chorizo using 15 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Mexican style chorizo
- It’s 1 lb of ground pork.
- It’s 1 tbsp of cumin seed.
- You need 1 tsp of coriander seed.
- Prepare 5 of whole cloves.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- You need 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- You need 1/2 tsp of dry oregano.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of dry thyme.
- You need 1 tbsp of granulated garlic.
- It’s 1 tsp of sea salt.
- Prepare 5 of whole peppercorns (or 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper).
- It’s 2 tbsp of paprika.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of (+ or – to taste) cayenne powder.
- You need 3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar.
- It’s of (if you can find Ancho chile powder use it in place of the paprika and cayenne).
Mexican style chorizo step by step
- Make sure to keep your hands and everything clean and the meat cold while preparing your sausage.
- If you are grinding your own meat do it ahead of time and have it well chilled before mixing.
- Grind all your spices if using whole spices.
- Mix all of the spices together until well blended.
- With clean hands mix the vinegar into the meat.
- Add in the spices a little at a time mixing it well with you hands (if you have sensitive hands you should wear gloves to do this, as the hot pepper can cause your hands to burn and/or stain them).
- Once all of the spices have been mixed into the meat fry up a small piece for a taste and adjust any of the spices.
- Let the sausage rest (in a plastic storage baggie or a lidded storage container) in the refrigerator overnight before use, unless you're stuffing it into casings (do that right away then let them rest in the fridge as above)..
- Freeze any of the sausage you aren't going to use in the next few days for long term storage..
- It's perfect for use in Shinae Choi Robinson's Chorizo chili : https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/1437297-chorizo-chili.