Spinach hand pies. The spinach and feta filling you know and love from this Greek dish is tucked inside whole-wheat pizza dough, then wrapped and baked into portable hand pies. These tasty vegetarian hand-held pies are perfect for an on-the-go meal or snack. These are rustic hand pies, meaning they're meant to look handmade – not professional and perfect.
One of my favorites hand pies is the one stuffed with spinach and cheese. Add the spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until the spinach is fully wilted. Gently fold in the turkey and set aside. You can have Spinach hand pies using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Spinach hand pies
- Prepare 2 cups of baby spinach leaves ,tightly packed.
- It’s 3/4 cup of onion , finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 & 1/2 tsp of minced garlic.
- Prepare 2 of eggs, slightly beaten.
- Prepare 1/4 cup +2 tbsp of ricotta cheese.
- You need 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese , grated.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of nutmeg powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of black pepper powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of red chilli flakes.
- It’s 1 tbsp of olive oi.
- You need to taste of salt.
- Prepare 1 packet/ 2 sheets of puff pastry sheets.
From such humble beginnings, these Sausage, Egg, & Spinach Hand Pies were born. So if these sausage hand pies aren't speaking to you today, you can also try one of these other options Set pumpkin hand pies on prepared baking sheet and brush with colored egg wash. Spinach and artichoke dip in puffed pastry? This fit the simplicity bill perfectly.
Spinach hand pies step by step
- In a skillet heat oil and saute the onions and garlic until soft. Turn heat off and let cool..
- In a medium size mixing bowl add all the remaining ingredients except the puff pastry sheets and eggs..
- Add the spinach once cooled and mix all the ingredients well. Check seasoning and adjust accordingly..
- On a lightly floured surface gently roll out one pastry sheet. Using a square or round cookie cutter, cut the pastry sheet..
- Brush each round / square with egg, place a little spinach and cheese mixture and fold over. Press the edges gently to seal the pie. Make slight indentations along the edge by pressing a fork along the sealed edges. Repeat the same process with the second sheet and all the the cut squares / rounds..
- Preheat oven at 200 degree centigrade. Line a baking tray with parchment paper..
- Brush egg on top off all the pies, place them on baking sheet and bake for 18 – 20 minutes until golden brown..
- Remove to a cooling rack and let cool for a few minutes before serving. Can be eaten warm or at room temperature..
- Makes 8 – 10 pies depending on the size of of the cutter..
I plan to make the Spinach and Artichoke Hand Dip Pies next week for a Christmas snack. Don't have any Mighty Spinach on hand? Hand pies are little-crimped pie dough rounds that are filled with either a sweet or savory filling. Cooked leeks can also be used with the spinach. What To Serve With Spanakopita Hand Pies?