Delicious Fish and Seafood Chowder. You may need to add additional cornstarch and water to get the desired thickness. Took Corey to the river mouth to try and catch some kahawai, a great base for the tasty seafood chowder. Out for a dive for some mussels for another tasty.
This is another reason why I don't often order it in restaurants. I used frozen shrimp canned crab meat instead of fish and it's definitely a winner! I did doubled the shrimp and omitted the white fish. You can have Delicious Fish and Seafood Chowder using 16 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Delicious Fish and Seafood Chowder
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of butter.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of Olive oil.
- Prepare 500 g of skinned and boned white fish, such as basa, cod or flake.
- It’s 1 of x boned salmon tail.
- It’s 500 g of shelled and deveined small prawns/shrips.
- You need 4 of large potatos (roughly chopped).
- It’s 4 of celery stalks (roughly chopped into 4-5 cm pieces).
- You need 1 of large onion (thinly sliced).
- It’s 2 of garlic cloves (diced).
- You need 1 L of fish stock.
- You need 250 ml of thickened cream.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of dried rosemary.
- It’s of Salt and black pepper.
- It’s 3 strands of saffron (optional).
- Prepare 1/4 cup of plain flour (to thicken).
- Prepare of Crusty bread (to serve).
I also added one can of baby clams and celery. Seafood Chowder is often thought of as complicated and only something for a special occasion. Here in my home, it is a perfect weekend lunchtime recipe that is really filling and delicious. I come from the sunny south east coast close to the beautiful fishing village of Dungarvan where fresh.
Delicious Fish and Seafood Chowder instructions
- One of the greatest things about his recipe is the different textures of the fish. To begin, heat your oil on a pan over a medium heat. Salt you salmon (on the non skin side) and place it face down on the hot oil. Cook for 5 minutes then flip. Cook on the skin side for 5 minutets. Remove from heat, discard the skin and set aside. Pre-cooking the salmon will ensure that it doesn't splinter in the Chowder..
- In a large pot heat the butter using a low heat. When hot, add onion and garlic. Cook on a low heat for 5-7 minutes, or until fragrent. Add potato and celery. Cook on a low heat for 15 minutes, or until potato slightly softens..
- Add your fish stock, then bring to the boil. While the water is boiling, prepare your whitefish by chopping it into large-ish (5cm chunks). When the water is boiled, throw in your white fish, prawns, rosemary and 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper. Place lid on pot and turn down to a low heat. Leave to cook for 30 minites..
- Try the liquid mixture. Adjust for seasoning (depending on what fish-stock you are using, you might need to add salt). Chop your already fried salmon into similar sized chunks as the whitefish. Place in the pot..
- Stir through the cream, turn up to medium heat. If you are using a little saffron, add it now. It won't bring much flavour, but it will add a lovely colour to your Chowder..
- When the cream has heated (approx 3mins) add in your flour 1 spoon at a time, making sure it stirred through. You might need to add additional flour depending on consistency. Add extra flour 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached..
- Enjoy with some crusty bread..
Creamy Seafood Chowder comes in many varieties, but nearly all of them include shrimp and potatoes. Most chowders are made with some part of a white sauce base. For this creamy seafood chowder it means little nuggets of delicious seafood, naturally. Seafood soups, stews and chowders can be delicious, satisfying and oh-so-nourishing dishes to enjoy at lunch, dinner or as an appetizer. Traditional New England Clam Chowder: This creamy favorite of the coastal Northeast combines clams, potoatos and cream for a deeply satisfying chowder.