Spinach Pulao. Serve palak pulao with a side salad, pickle or raita. You can also garnish the spinach rice with some chopped coriander leaves or mint leaves. Pan fried paneer or tofu cubes also go very well as a garnish.
The best part of this recipe is, it is flavorful by itself, so it tastes good without any side dish. To begin making the Spinach Rice Recipe (Palak Pulao), heat oil in a heavy bottom pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds, grated ginger and sauté for a few seconds. You can cook Spinach Pulao using 17 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Spinach Pulao
- It’s 2 handful of baby spinach.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of sona masoori rice(or any other rice).
- Prepare 3 1/2 cup of water.
- You need 1 inch of ginger.
- It’s 5-6 of garlic pods.
- It’s 2 tbsp of oil + 1 tsp oil.
- Prepare 2 tsp of ghee.
- It’s of Whole spices (2 cloves, 1 cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon stick, 1 star anise, 1 stone flower).
- It’s 5-10 of split cashews.
- You need 1 of onion sliced.
- It’s 10-15 of mint leaves.
- It’s 5-6 of stem coriander leaves.
- You need 1 of small tomato chopped.
- You need 2 of green chillies slitted.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tsp of red chilly powder.
- It’s of Salt as required.
- It’s drops of Few lemon.
Stir in the tomatoes, turmeric powder and saute until the tomatoes have softened. Once the tomatoes have softened, stir in the chopped spinach and salt. Palak Pulao (spinach rice) is not only an easy to prepare vegetarian rice dish but also a healthy way to get all goodness of spinach. This step by step photo recipe of palak pulao uses both spinach puree and chopped spinach for nice color, flavor and texture; The sweet corns gives it tempting look while carefully chosen cooking spices gave it an irresistible aromatic flavor and taste.
Spinach Pulao step by step
- Wash and soak the rice for 30 mins.
- Heat a pan with 1 tsp oil, add spinach and sauté until it becomes soft. Cool it and grind it along with garlic and ginger..
- Heat a pressure cooker with oil and ghee. Add all whole spices and cashews. Let it splutter. Add onion and green chillies. Sauté until it becomes soft. Add ground paste and sauté until raw smell goes. Add mint and coriander leaves and sauté for few mins. Add tomato and sauté until it becomes soft. Add chilly powder and salt..
- Add water and rice. Add few lemon drops. Pressure cook it for 3 whistles..
- Enjoy with onion raita!.
Palak rice or palak pulao – Healthy and delicious rice made using Indian spinach and mild spices. I make this often for the hubby and the kids' lunch box. I have shared both the methods here. I prefer the first method since palak is sauteed only for few mins retaining most of the nutrients. It is not over cooked as it happens with pressure cooking method.